Black Lentil Salad
Healthy, seasonal, and easy foods to fix in your own kitchen.
Recipe and Photography by Ginny Williams
1 cup uncooked lentils
2 cups water
1 English cucumber
1 red bell pepper
1 bunch of cilantro
juice of 1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
salt, to taste
1. In a large saucepan, add 1 cup uncooked black lentils and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 20 to 22 minutes. Drain any excess liquid. Set aside.
2. Cut the English cucumber in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard. Chop the cucumber into small cubes.
3. Cut the red bell pepper in half and remove the seeds. Chop into small cubes.
4. Remove the long stems of the cilantro and roughly chop the leaves. Use the lemon juice to help wilt the cilantro
so you don’t chop it too small.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the diced cucumber, diced red bell pepper, black lentils, and cilantro. Top with the lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and salt. Stir well. Taste and adjust olive oil and seasonings if necessary.